Modiocracy for a start….
Let’s put Godhra aside. Let’s just forget about 2002 and 1984, as well. Let’s also understand that the legal process in India does not provide the benefit of the doubt to the downtrodden until proven innocent, but on the other hand does find ways and means to whitewash the powerful of any insinuation of guilt. Let’s simply not harp on Modi/fascist/Hindutva/right wing endlessly—so much so that the historical meaning of these words lose their edge.
Let’s simply examine some benign facts about Gujarat. Straight from the state’s own mouth.
- Dropout rates from Gujarat schools are at a record 58%! The national average is at 49%
-For Gujarat’s Dalits and Tribals the dropout rate of high school students has reached 65 and 78% respectively
- In Gujarat there are 52 students per teacher, in the intermediate level, whereas the national average is 34 per teacher.
- The enrollment of boys for class 1 in Gujarat has dropped by 24%, although the enrollment of girls has actually increased 11%. In general, men and boys are skipping education? Modiocrists may explain that Gujarat is so engulfed with entrepreneurial zeal that the male population finds knowledge acquisition quite redundant, and girls have more time and can fulfill traditional roles and therefore can complete education, merely as a chore perhaps?
- Gujarat’s gross enrollment ratio (GER) is at 17.6 and is lower than states like Tamil Nadu (38.2) and Maharashtra (27.4) . GER is the proportion of 18-23 year olds studying in higher education against the total population.
- Gujarat’s shortage of doctors at primary health care centers is 34%. Shortage of specialists at community health clinics is at an astounding 94%
- Planned sub centres for primary and community health care centers are at an astounding level of incompletion. 21% of sub centres, 19% of primary health care and 11% of community centres as planned, do not exist.
- In tribal areas 70% of Xray technicians and 63% of pharmacists have not been posted and there are no doctors available here. 100% shortage!
- As a result, infant mortality in Gujarat has reached 38 average and as high as 55 in certain districts (death before reaching the age of one). In Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra this rate is 21 and 25 respectively.
- The mortality rate for girls under five is 37 in Gujarat, while the national average is 34. The whole of India is out to destroy its girls, though, on a war footing.
So, when the backers of Modi (and I am not talking about the Khaki balloon-pant wearing saffron goon squads ) ---- I am talking about industrialists who go hoarse screaming about “growth”, roads, electricity, foreign investments, single window processes, nano car production ( a tax shelter and land scam that has been neatly swept under the rug by the Tatas and the Modi government)—where is your soul? Where is your honest take on the condition of the population for whom you want to make soaps, cereals, drinks, medicines and fruits? How will they buy your products, if they have no cash, no savings and no idea of the world they are getting into? How will they buy the commodities that you are so keen to produce on land stolen from agriculture and how will they have some income so their children can go to school, eat healthy foods and get primary health care, when Gujarat’s investments in these sectors are abysmal? Will they eat cement, steel, nano cars, highways and containers? How will the fabled farmers of Gujarat, more than 700 of whom have committed suicide during Modi’s rule, prepare the food for the children of Gujarat when their land is stolen, their loans are like hot coals around their necks and chemical companies are producing seeds they don’t need?
I said I would not talk about 2002, about Gujarat, about 1984, about Congress leaders trying to exploit Gujarat’s reign of shame while tucking away their own carnages from Baranagore and Amritsar to Delhi and Nellie. I did not. I did not also talk about the well-grown potted plants of fascism that are spreading everywhere under BJP aegis. I am talking about children, health care, education, mortality, mothers and food. That is enough to put the Modiocrists in a little cell in Tihar. Modi does not chill you to the bones. The facts are clear. These are benign monsters that must be dispensed with coolly.